Wide
awake in my room at Keio Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku at 4:10 a.m. I was up
since 2:45 a.m. and so did my two American roommates. It was so hard to stay
awake all day yesterday and listen to speakers after speakers at the post
arrival orientation of JETs. I was in the Starlight room on the 43rd
floor all day learning about translation, interpretation, Japanese business and
phone manners. These workshops were all done in Japanese. At one point, I asked
myself, “How did I end up here in a room with 58 foreign nationals getting
trained for my new job in Japanese?” It’s the same question I sometimes asked
myself as a child when I looked around my classroom in Toronto. “How did I end
up here in a classroom with students of different ethnic/racial backgrounds
studying in English?” There are moments when you just wonder how did I get here
because it’s so randomly different from the life you used to lead.
Despite
all these questions popping in my head, I am enjoying this experience very
much. This is definitely the kind of environment and people I have wanted to
surround myself with - 58 CIRs of different nationalities who read, write, and speak Japanese
very very very well. They definitely motivated me to study harder to improve my
Japanese skills. I’ve met some very intelligent CIRs – there was a British who studied
Japanese only for 4 years and passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Test N1;
there was a kiwi who did 4 years of studies in Japanese and an American who did
only high school level Japanese, and were able to pass the interviews and exams
to make it this far. I was just in awe and impressed by these people all day
long...
Coincidentally,
the American who did only high school level Japanese and is fluent in Japanese
is a Korean-American whose family is from the same small town where my parents grew up in Korea. I
also lived there for 6 years while living in Korea. What a small world….
I
am here in Tokyo for one more day and I am headed to Fukuoka to meet with
colleagues , directors, and possibly the Governor of Fukuoka Prefecture.
Hope I make a good impression using the bowing techniques and other Japanese business manners I
learned yesterday.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to reading your future adventure JY! BTW what are you gonna do in Japan and Fukuoka...? :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the program! Impressive that you're quadralingual, fully! Wondering what other languages you know besides Korean, Japanese, French, English?
ReplyDeleteHi Kheng! I have studied Spanish up to intermediate level in university. But I haven't used it for awhile for I would say basic Spanish?
ReplyDeleteHi Sebastien! You can read about what I do here in detail under CIR: http://jetprogramme.ca/about/positions