Yesterday
wasn’t too eventful but it was a day that made me realize how lucky I have been
so far. I went to the city hall to register my new address; opened up a
Japanese bank account, and got a new cellphone! Yay!
Lucky
case #1 – an iPhone for 9800 Yen = $105
I
went into a mobile shop, and looked around at phones and plans. I initially
wanted an android phone, but it looked like android phones and plans were more
expensive than iPhones. But iPhones were still quite expensive – around $430 Canadian. Luckily, a customer service rep mentioned to me that the phone was
being sold for $105, and there was only one left at the store. I hesitated a
little bit because I was skeptical at how a 40,000 Yen phone can be sold for 9800
Yen. So I asked several times if the price was right, and he said yes. So without
any hesitation, I bought the iPhone 5c for around 9800 Yen. Amazing!
Lucky
case #2 – my apartment
I
was supposed to get into an apartment in Nishijin. This apartment is located
right in downtown, but its downside is that it’s very old. But in the last week
before my departure, my predecessor emailed me that I couldn’t get into
Nishijin anymore because of some administrative error. So other housing options
opened up. Now, I am in a very new apartment that’s very close to my office and
has lots of JETs already living here.
Lucky
case #3 – at the airport
I
was told that if my luggage was overweight, I would need to pay $100+tax. It
was overweight, and a lady at the counter just let it pass without any fees.
Lucky
case #4 - my placement
During
the Tokyo Post Arrival orientation, I was reminded many times how lucky I am to
be in my placement – Fukuoka City! It’s one of the top 10 most livable cities
in the world. I am also working at Fukuoka Prefectural Government where I will
be doing lots of interesting work.
Overall,
I am very grateful for everything that has happened so far! Maybe it’s a sign
that my time here will be amazing. J
Hi Ji-Young!! I'm glad that things seem to be working out for you!! And we miss you, too (at least I do)! It's so strange to be scattered all around the country!!
ReplyDeleteI'm I'm a really beautiful and hilly area, it's really quite gorgeous. My apartment is a decent size, and also brand new! I bought my car yesterday (aka the pink bunny). You know what that means? Road trip to Fukuoka!!! /)
Sylvette (in Sasayama-shi)
Hey Jiyoung, glad to hear your settling in well there. With all those candies I'm not surprised to hear your luggage was overweight. Hope your good luck continues.
ReplyDelete-Jigme
I'm feeling pretty lucky myself! Can't wait to tell you all about it soon! Keep it up Ji-young, luck is in your favour!
ReplyDelete